When Someone Dies

A brief overview of what to do at this difficult time

Here is some brief information on what to do when someone dies, it is not an exhaustive list and we would advise the use of the links provided for further information relating to your own area. Feel free to print it off, it contains a condensed version of the information here and has a useful checklist section that you can use to help you get things sorted. Many have found this very helpful.


Death at Home:

It is best to inform the local doctor as soon as possible.

Death in Hospital:

The hospital staff will have arranged for the completion of the Death Certificate by one of the attending doctors. If you would like a cremation to take place then either inform the hospital, or us.

The Coroner:

If the deceased has not been seen by his/her doctor within 14 days prior to death or the death is sudden then it is required to be reported to the Coroner. The doctor may inform the Coroner on your behalf. The Coroners role is to establish a cause of death, and this may be done by post mortem. Once the cause of death has been ascertained, the deceased will be released allowing the funeral to proceed. This process can take a few days or more. We will then be able to tell you when the death can be registered. Note that if a Coroners Inquest is needed (death thought to occur due to unnatural causes), this can take some time. We will be able to advise you on this.

Please find below a list of things you may need to consider

Accounts with:

Banks, Building Societies, Post office, Premium Bonds

Payments being made:

Insurance Policies, rental or H.P.Agreements, standing orders, credit cards.

Change of name of responsibility for:

Electricity, gas, telephone, car, car insurance, house insurance, TV licence.

Notification of death will need to be sent to:

Employer, Tax Office, Passport Office, Pension's Departments, professional associations, local clubs and organisations, driving licence-DVLA Swansea, family GP, DSS-for return of any appliances of cancellation of services, hospital for cancellation of any appointments.

Change of Circumstances:

The financial circumstances of the remaining family have now altered and various grants and allowances may be available from the state, e.g. help towards funeral expenses, rent/council tax rebates, widow's pension. Please contact your local Department for Works and Pension.