Registering A Death

How to register a death with the Wigan local authority

On the event of a death, it must be registered in the area where it occurred, although it is possible to register the death in another area. The process of registering a death involves a short interview with a Registrar in a Registrars Office. The registrar’s office in Wigan is as follows:
Wigan Council, Wigan Life Centre, The Wiend, Wigan, WN1 1NH 01942 489003
Consultations with registrars are by appointment only and you must produce the relevant information and documents to register a death. Personal information about the deceased required includes:

  • -The date and place of their death.

-Their full name

-The date and place of their birth

-Their occupation

-Their home address

-If they were in receipt of a pension or allowance from public funds

  • -If married, the date of birth of the surviving spouse

The Registrar will also require the following documents:

  • -The Medical Certificate of Cause of Death

-The deceased's National Health Service medical card (if available)

  • -The Registrar may also require the Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate (if applicable) if these are readily available

In the event a coroner is involved, the issuing of a death certificate can be delayed. A coroner is involved when there is to be a post mortem examination or inquest into the death.

A death certificate will not be issued until the coroner has conducted the examination or inquest. This can take some time and can have an effect on the funeral plans.

Only certain people can register the death. These include any relative of the deceased, any person present at the death, any person who lives in the house where the person died, or any person arranging the funeral, other than the funeral director.

On completion of registering a death the registrar will issue you with two certificates. One of these is a white certificate to be filled out and given to the social security office in the areas the person has died. The other certificate is green and should be given to us as soon as possible.